Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Worn Slap Out...

I'm going to be real honest with y'all. I love being a stay-at-home mama, but there are some days that I wish I could just go drop James off at daycare for a few hours so that I could run some errands by myself or take a nap or vacuum and mop every room in my house without being interrupted every five minutes. Surely I'm not alone here, right?


Today is one of those days. I have been keeping some kind of late hours lately. I'll be really tired and when I get in the bed my eyes pop open and I just lay there. For.e.ver.

Last night it was after 12 am. Now, I realize saying this makes me "old." There was a time in my life when just after 12 am was "early." Now, however, when I have a child that wakes up anywhere between 5:30 and 7:30, it is late.

Last night James woke up a couple of times after Eddie put him to bed. Then he woke up this morning at 5:30. Bless his heart, Eddie cannot stand to hear that child cry. I usually let him cry for 10 minutes or so before I'll go get him, unless it's just an outright fit. Eddie might wait 10 seconds. So this morning at 5:30 Eddie got James out of his crib and brought him to me to nurse. Thank the Lord, he went back to sleep and slept until 6:30 or 7. I could not hold my eyes open when we did get up. I stumbled to the kitchen and immediately made coffee.

James and I went to Hobby Lobby after I'd gotten up and ready. I'm in the middle of several projects right now. Two things in particular - the balloon wreath I posted a few weeks ago and the Jesse Tree. (I'll tell you more about the Jesse Tree some other time.)

After Hobby Lobby, we stopped by Monkey Joe's to watch our friends' big kids play. We spent about 45 minutes chatting and then I decided it was nap time.

We are, unfortunately, in the middle of a nap transition. Will he take four naps a day? Just three? Just two? I never know. Since I'm home with him all day I haven't been excellent at getting him on a great schedule. It seems like I figure it out and then something happens to throw it all off. That being said, he'd been up since around 7 so by 11 I thought it was time.

We came home, he ate, and I laid him down. He sat up. I laid him back down. He sat back up. Because of the chewing, I've had to watch him like a hawk. I left his bedroom door open and went about my business, trying to get some other things done. By 11:30 he was still wide awake. Like a bad mama, I carried him to my room, put him in his swing, and he was out in under 3 minutes.

He didn't take a great nap because Eddie (accidentally) woke him up when he got home. After Eddie left I decided to try another nap since he was fussing. No go.


I plopped him down in the pack 'n play we've set up in our master bathroom and there he sits, playing away. I, on the other hand, just want a nap. I need one in a bad way. My mama is supposed to come up here tomorrow and I might hand James to her and climb back in the bed. I haven't been this tired since he was just a few weeks old. The difference is that then I was able to sleep during the day because he was actually napping. And now?


No comments: