Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Wedding Weekend! Part One (Thursday, Friday, and Saturday Morning)

So "The Wedding" was this past Saturday. I haven't mentioned a lot about it because until this weekend a lot of it was up in the air or top secret information. The original plan was for immediate family plus a few extras to go down to Port St. Joe, Florida (Black's Island to be even more specific) for a very small, intimate wedding. Mom and Anna (and Sonny and Lance) had been back and forth to PSJ several times to make arrangements but some of the plans just weren't working out. After several failed attempts at locking down a caterer, hair stylist, etc., Anna and Lance scrapped that idea (and this is literally like three weeks ago) and decided to get married in Tifton instead. BUT...because they still wanted the small, intimate wedding we stayed a little hush hush about the entire affair!

The past few weeks I've spent a lot of time on the phone with Mom and/or Anna asking about final plans and details, making lists of things to bring, ordering and wrapping gifts, getting a bridesmaid's (*ahem* matron of honor's) dress altered. (Let me just pause and say that matron of honor needs to be changed. Best married woman? Mrs. of honor? Ha! Matron just makes me feel old!) Wednesday and Thursday last week were spent packing, cleaning, packing, and cleaning. This is what my bed looked like Thursday afternoon:

Yes, I did take all of those shoes, thank you very much. And no, I did not wear all of them...or even close. Who cares? When you have a vehicle as large as mine, you may as well pack your whole closet!

We finally got all packed up and left our house at about 8:15 Thursday night. Our plan was to run through somewhere for supper and head south. We thought James would sleep the whole way down (it's only about an hour and fifteen minutes), then wake up and play with Grandmamma and Granddaddy before then going back to bed. Ha! Hahahaha! Shows how much we know about a toddler who has a mind of his own. James did not sleep a wink on the way down. In fact, he didn't cry about 12 minutes of the entire trip. We thanked our lucky stars and praised the Lord that we weren't driving to Tallahassee like in our original plans! (Sidenote so that you can feel sorry for Eddie: I requested Bossypants by Tina Fey from our library and Eddie picked it up on Wednesday for me. Apparently, the library can make a book a "7 Day Book" if it's in high demand. SO...I decided I needed to read it this weekend so that I can get it back on time. I thought Eddie would like it, too, so I read it outloud to him on the way down. Poor, poor man. Between my reading and James' crying, he was ready to get OUT of the car!)

When we got to Tifton James played and played and ate pie and ate pie and ate pie with Grandmamma and Granddaddy. I think they went upstairs to bed around 11 or 11:30 and we attempted to put James down. Ha. Hahahaha! It took a sweet forever to get him to go to sleep. I can't keep all three nights straight, but all nights he and Eddie spent some time in the recliner in the den, he spent some time in the bed with us, and I slept on the floor for a little while. Ugh. This is why, even though we love seeing all of you family and friends, we absolutely hate and dread spending the night away from home. He is and has almost always been a horrible sleeper.

Friday was rehearsal dinner day! Anna, Mom, and I got manicures and pedicures early in the afternoon. I thoroughly enjoyed that! I hadn't had either in forever! At 6pm we headed to the museum where the wedding/reception was taking place to rehearse. Because there were only six of us really, actively involved in the ceremony, it was quick! From there, we headed to Mom's house for the Rehearsal Dinner which was super casual and laid back. We had barbecue and just enjoying sitting around (and in James' case running around the yard!) and talking.

James and Laura/YaYa

James and Dad/Papa

John, Papa, and James being boys. James was not sure what to think of John's rough-housing. (Earlier in the night John was holding James and jumped out to scare Mama. He said James almost jumped out of his skin because he didn't know what the plan was. Silly John!)

YaYa, James, and Grandmommie

Me and Sonny

John and Dad

YaYa and James

Mom and Anna

On Saturday morning after breakfast, James met Papa and YaYa at the Agrirama to spend a little time outside. Eddie and I just dropped him off, so I'm not sure what all they saw. I heard there weren't many animals like there have been in the past, they ate ice cream at 10:30 in the morning, and they rode the train twice. :)

Woo! Woo!

Part Two: Getting Ready, Pictures, and THE WEDDING!

No comments: